Cracker Barrel Chicken and Dumplings Taste alike Recipe...
Why yes...I have "a thing" for Cracker Barrel's Chicken and dumplings.This is indeed....the recipe. Or at least it tastes almost identical! Fantastic :-)
Figured I would share!
Cracker Barrel Chicken and Dumpling recipe
- 3 quarts water 1 3-4 pound whole 1 1/2 teaspoons salt 1 small onion sliced 1 stalks celery, chopped 1 clove garlic, peeled and quartered 2 bay leaves 1 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 4 cups all purpose flour 2 tablespoon baking powder 2 teaspoons of salt 2 cup plus 2 tablespoons milk
- Before you head out the door in the morning throw all the above in the crockpot...set that puppy on high and walk away.
- When you get home from work/school/crazy day pull the chicken out of the pot and place it to the side.
- Now strain the broth out of the crockpot and into a large stove pot. I personally like to drain off the chunky veggies and only leave the seasoning and broth in the new pot.
- Together in a bowl combine the dumpling ingredients. I then slap this on my counter and roll it out and cut them into my dumplings (I like them about 1/2 thick and 2-3 inches across)
- Bring the broth to a rolling boil and start dropping in your dumplings. Let them boil for 20-30 minutes.
- You can then add back in the chicken pieces that have fallen off of your crockpot chicken. I you need additional water simply add it to the pot.
- You will need to let them all cook together for at least that 20-30 minutes to get that creamy texture and yummy taste you get at Cracker Barrel. Often I will turn them down and let them sit even longer and they are even better ;-)