Fantastic Cauliflower and Potato Soup (can be gluten/dairy/meat free option)
This one...oh my.When Haley tells me I need to post something I make I know I have to do it before I forget. See I promise them I will post any recipe on here they want to be able to find one day when they are grown and gone and well.... She says she can not live with out this one. When an 11 year old tells you they "love" you cauliflower/potato soup then it must be good...right?
I will say I can not claim this one really. I started using The Pioneer Woman's Potato soup recipe...of course I switched out all of high sodium stuff and dairy but for the most part it was still the same recipe... And then I went to make it today and was like "Oh crap! We had mashed potatoes last night and I only have a few left! But I do have a whole head of cauliflower!". So then I am all like "I bet I could merge the recipes!" And poof! Yummy. And soooo fast and easy! So easy I really don't have to go into deep detail because this is literally a 30 minute meal!
1 head of Cauliflower2 Potatoes (any will do)2 carrots1 Onion1 Celery Stick2 Quarts of stock (I use beef or chicken bone broth I have frozen...I make a batch every few weeks and freeze it to use later)5 tablespoons flour (can use all gluten free mix)2 Cups Milk (or Almond milk)1 stick butter (or dairy free alternative)Handful of parsleySalt and pepper to tasteBacon
- Chop up ....well everything. I prefer the soup a bit chunkier so I hand chop all the veggies but if you like it a bit finer you can always use a food processor!
- Bring the veggies, stock, and half a stick of butter to boil for about 20 minutes.
- In a small saucepan melt the other half of the stick of butter. Whisk in the milk and flour until it thickens up a bit. Add this to you soup.
- My favorite part. Take out half the soup and put it into a food processor, Vitamix, or mixer. Blend until smooth and creamy. Add it back into the soup bowl and merge with the remaining unblended soup.
- While that is simmering nicely I go ahead and fry up some bacon...because everything is better with bacon. Duh. Here is the thing. A.) You don't have to add bacon we just do because we really love bacon. B.) If you love bacon as much as we do then you won't be shy about adding bacon grease to your soup. Yep that's right. "Secret Ingredient"...just not a secret at all that bacon makes everything better. Once you have the bowl of soup out throw some bacon bits on top and well.... AMAZING.
That's it...that simple. Enjoy! :-)